By. Garrett Guzman
1. The number one reason you’re not losing weight is excuses.Think about how many times you were planning on going to the gym or getting a workout in, but something came up (really anything). I could literally write an entire, 200+ page book (perhaps with some entertaining illustrations) of all the excuses I have received over the years on why someone is “unable” to workout. And, I am not even referring to true crises or emergencies. I am referring to my dog ate my homework-type excuses. Until you quit making excuses, you’ll never lose the weight and keep it off.
2. The number two reason you’re not losing weight is priorities. So many people tell me they don’t have enough time to workout. Reminder, we all have the same 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. That’s one fair “gift” in this life. How we decide to spend that time is up to each one of us. Mind you, these same people who don’t have time to workout also spend countless hours watching tv and scrolling social media. End of the day, it boils down to priorities. Either your health and fitness are towards the top, or they are not. Until your health and wellness goals take a top priority, you’ll never lose the weight and keep it off.
3. The number three reason you’re not losing weight is discipline and commitment. Many of you make very strong goals with great intentions. Unfortunately, when times get tough, you throw your health and fitness goals to the waste-side. Anyone can workout for a day. Heck, anyone can workout for a week or two. But making the time and putting in the effort day after day, week after week, month and month, year and year; that takes discipline and commitment. And unless you instill those “values” deep inside of you, you’ll never lose the weight and keep it off.
4. The number four reason you’re not losing weight is laziness. This one may hurt a little (as if the previous three didn’t). Many times, it seems easier to just kick your feet up on the couch and put a drink in your hand. And let me tell you, there can be a time and place for this. But that is only after you have finished the work you had to do for that day (in this specific case, your workout). And other times, it seems much better “at the time” to sleep in, but that’s not going to cut it. You simply have to get your butt up and get moving. If you don’t do this, you’ll never lose the weight and keep it off.
5. Finally, the number five reason you’re not losing weight is a lack of education or misinformation. I try not to blame people when I hear what they are doing to improve their health and fitness, when I know it is either totally tied to a short-term fad (with no long-term lifestyle changes) or just flat out “dumb.” And yes, there are many dumb things that people do to lose weight, whether that’s taking various ineffective “weight loss supplements” (pills, powders, laxatives, diuretics, etc.) or chronically over-exercising and/or under-eating (and this is not to down-play the real truth of eating disorders – or exercise disorders, which often need to be addressed and taken seriously). If you do these, you’ll never lose the weight and keep it off.
In a future Refined Fitness Report, I will discuss what you must do in order to lose the weight and keep it off. Until then, make sure you heed my advice and avoid the DO NOTS, in order to avoid many of the weight loss pitfalls that exist.